Sheila Crisostomo (The Philippine Star) – February 7, 2019 – 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — Despite the bombings in Lanao del Norte, the second leg of the plebiscite for the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) was successful, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) declared yesterday.
James Jimenez, Comelec spokesman, said they are looking at a voter turnout of 75 percent.
“So far, it’s showing up to be very successful elections. Of course, if something happens at the very last minute, that very last minute event is what’s going to define the whole exercise. But with caution in mind, yes it is successful so far,” he said in an interview.
Jimenez said they could not determine if the bombings were election-related, but noted that the timing was “ridiculous” as these happened the day before the plebiscite.
The plebiscite covered the entire province of Lanao del Norte except for Iligan city and 67 barangays in seven towns of North Cotabato.
Read more >>>